Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nail Quickie - Blue Over Flakies

Is there anybody who doesn’t like flakies? Statistically there should be, but that’s something I just can’t grok. Over the past couple of polish orders I picked up five bottles of Golden Rose flakies, two are extremely similar but all are awesome.
BTW: I’m aware that my ring finger nail is too long, I’ll fix it later.

Here’s what I used for this simple layered mani:

  • China Glaze Nail Strengthener & Growth Formula
  • Astor Protection 3 Base Coat
  • Astor Fash’n Studio 070
  • Color Club Blue-Topia
  • Golden Rose Scale Effect 06
  • Seche Vite

Today’s base mani was slightly different, because I didn’t want to do a full 070 mani and then try to remove it from the accent nail. That always end in tears or at least in cottony fuzzy nails. So I applied a coat of each base, two coats of Blue-Topia on my accent nail, three of 070 on the other nine and sealed all with Seche Vite. So please excuse the accent nail in the swatch photos.

070 is a vivid, cold blue crème, very similar to what Wikipedia calls royal blue. The opacity is a bit odd. I’m sure you all have encountered shimmery polishes that look opaque until you tilt the nails a bit and lo! sheerness abounds. This is the first crème polish I’ve noticed doing that. I only applied three coats, but I believe four to five coats, depending on their thickness, would be fully opaque.
This polish applied pretty well; the first coat was streaky on some nails, even on others. I found 070 to be quite runny and to level very well. It didn’t dry as quickly as I had hoped, considering the thin formula and therefore thin coats. The round brush works well enough, but is nothing special to me.

Here’s 070 in two coats without top coat:

And this is 070 in three coats with Seche Vite:

After the base colour was mostly dry I added a coat of Scale Effect 06 and another coat of Seche Vite.

As simple as it is, I love this mani to bits. Flakies are awesome in general, but I love how they look turquoise-y green on the bright blue and emerald green on the dark blue. And there are occasional random red flakies in there.
Do you know anyone who doesn’t like flakies?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...